MySql Backup

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register
Only delete differential backup after full backup Options · View
jsabo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:04:35 PM

Groups: Registered

Right now, option is to delete the differential backup after the next successful differential backup.

It would be nice to have the option to hold those until the next full backup-- for example, I might discover that a developer accidentally deleted data at 1PM, but not until after the 2PM differential ran.

If I still had access to the noon differential file, I could reduce my exposure-- right now, I'd be stuck grabbing the last full backup, which would mean 13 hours of lost data instead of just 1.
AlexP
#2 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 1:41:10 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi,

We'll consider this suggestion. Thank you for the feedback!
AlexP
#3 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 2:18:42 PM

Why just do not use "Auto delete old Diff & Tran Log backups... " in this case?
jsabo
#4 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 4:56:42 PM

If we could set different time periods based on the type of backup, that might work.

For example, I currently have my nightly full backups set to save for 2 years. I think it's highly unlikely that I would need to go that far back, but who knows when someone's going to run an audit?

I wouldn't want to hold onto transaction and differential backups for that long-- those backups are mostly there right now for same-day disaster recovery, and holding them for 2 years wouldn't make sense.

I'm looking at this feature change as a third case-- trying to recover accidentally deleted data.

In this situation, the odds are that I wouldn't ever want more than a single day's worth of transaction logs or differential backups-- if someone waits three days to tell me they killed something, then we're probably going to accept the partial loss.

But in my current situation, I run a differential every 2 hours. If someone kills a table at 5:50PM, and they don't realize what they did until 6:01PM, I've lost any chance I had at recovering that day's data.

But if I had all the transaction and differentials for the day, or worst case, all the differentials, I've got my losses to at worst 2 hours of data.

I'll admit that this is a total edge case, and that I could work around this in other ways (like automatically moving my full backups to another location with a different program), I just thought that it would be cool to have in the main program.
AlexP
#5 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 2:25:47 PM

Hi,

We have updated "Advanced Backup Schedule" window in SQLBackupAndFTP 9.0.7. Now you can specify how long would you like to keep Diif or LogTran backups.
Thank you for the suggestion!
jsabo
#6 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 3:07:20 PM

Cool, just installed it. Thanks!
Alexander Omelchenko
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:58:50 AM

Great, please feel free to contact us on any issues or concerns.