MySql Backup

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register
Backup Database Naming Options · View
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 12:42:17 PM

Groups:

Right or wrong (or stupid) I've been backing up a production database (using SQLBackup) using a FULL-DAY-HH-MM and LOG-DAY-HH-MM (FULL-MON-22-00, LOG-THU-18-15, etc.) naming routine. This way I don't deal with deletions, I just simply overwrite the identically-named files every week. Since I'm doing a full backup at 10pm and transaction log backups q15minutes, that means I have 672 "permanent" files in a backup folder (7 full backups, and 95 transaction log backups a day). I have been using JungleDisk to backup those files which keeps as many versions of each file I write to S3 as I want. So, I could have not just a week of backups, but three weeks (if I kept 3 versions of the 672 files).

So, I would like much more flexibility in naming the backup files for this system that doesn't require backup deletions (or tracking). Instead of seven days of backups (based on the days of the week), I would even like to name backup files like DAYONE-FULL-HH-MM, DAYONE-LOG-HH-MM, DAYTWO-FULL-HH-MM, DAYTWO-LOG-HH-MM, etc. if I wanted to only keep two days of backups (rather than seven) with only 192 "permanent" files instead of 672.

Thank you for your consideration.
ruslan
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:40:31 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Thank you for the suggestion. However I believe you could achieve the same result using the existing Auto-Delete functionality. We could make the program more flexible in naming, but we are yet to see the compelling reason for developing it.
Alexander
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:36:45 AM

Groups:

Well, flexible naming could save a lot of time in simple way: for example, out product updates very often so database version would be nice to see in backup name, so we don't need to download all backups to find the one with previous version of DB.
Alexander Omelchenko
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:21:17 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Thanks for the feature request.